Ginkgo, also known as ginkgo biloba, is a tree native to Asia that can grow to a height of 40m. It is one of the oldest living tree species (a tree can live 1,000 years). It has short branches and inedible fruits that smell bad.
Ginkgo, Maidenhair Tree
Benefits for health
Ginkgo biloba has been studied a lot in the recent years. Below are listed the main benefits of this plant:
- For memory and concentration: several studies have found that Ginkgo can improve blood flow to the brain, and it is therefore improve concentration and memory. A lot of students use it when studying for exams, in order to learn faster. It appears to work best to improve memory and thinking in young and middle-aged people. Please note that Ginkgo biloba has been found to improve blood flow in general (not only in the brain). Therefore, it is useful for circulatory problems.
- For dementia and Alzheimer disease: Ginkgo is widely used in Europe for dementia, as it improves blood flow to the brain. Latest research suggests this is not the only reason: Ginkgo might protect nerve cells damaged in Alzheimer disease. It has a beneficial effect on memory in people with Alzheimer disease. According to several studies, Ginkgo biloba might be as effective as some prescription medications to delay the symptoms of Alzheimer disease and dementia.
- For intermittent claudication (reduced blood flow to the legs): People suffering from intermittent claudication usually have difficulties walking without feeling pain. Ginkgo biloba improves blood flow and can be beneficial for this health condition. In studies, people taking ginkgo tended to walk farther than those taking placebo. In fact, it has been shown to work as well as a prescription medication.
- For macular degeneration: This eye disease affects the retina, and is the most common cause of blindness. This disease grows when ageing. Some studies suggest that flavonoids found in ginkgo biloba may stop or reduce some problems with the retina, and thus help preserve vision in people suffering from macular degeneration.
- Finally, Ginkgo appears to be beneficial for male impotence. It is a good choice for men suffering from sexual dysfunction.
How to use it?
Take 1 to 3 capsules per day, preferably during meals.
Safety / contraindications
- Do not give to children
- Before taking Ginkgo biloba, you should consult your doctor if you have diabetes or if you are taking medications for blood thinning.
- People who have epilepsy should not take ginkgo, because it might cause seizures.
Not enough studies have been performed regarding consumption of ginkgo biloba during pregnancy. It is recommended to avoid using it during this period.
Shipping in Chile
Shipping is available for all Chile. Products are sent by CorreosChile.
Most products are shipped on the next day. Some products that we do not sell frequently (such as essential oils in bottles of 10mL or 30mL) require an extra day. This is due to the fact that they are made to order by the manufacturer, so that you get the freshest product possible.
For more information, you can click here to view the FAQ, or contact us by mail or chat.
Pick-up in Santiago
We are an online retailer. Therefore, the address mentioned at the bottom of the website is not a shop and no products are sold there.
However, free delivery is possible near station Tobalaba. We are usually available for our clients on Tuesday and Thursday between 6:00pm and 7:30pm, and on Wednesday and Friday between 1:30pm and 3pm.
You must first confirm and pay your order online. We will then send you an email when your order is ready (usually the next day), so that you can come to pick your order.
Shipping in Latin America
We plan to start shipping in Latin America from first half of 2016. If you are interested, feel free to contact us for more information. So that we can better assist you, we recommend you to create an account, then add to your cart the products you want us to ship to you. This will allow us to give you a more precise quote quickly.
Any questions? These page can help you: